Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Three Women Point Out the Hypocrisy in the Reaction to Trump's Denigrating Words

As I've written before, I found Trump's conversation with Billy Bush in 2005 to be putrid and objectifying, and I'm tired of those who will dismiss it as "just how men talk and think." I bristle when anyone paints the entire male gender as a horde of lechers, and this isn't helping.

...but I'm also tired, also as I've written before, of selective outrage. And (at least) three fairly prominent female columnists agree with me. (Click on the links for the entire pieces.)

Heather MacDonald: "If any of these newfound exponents of female modesty felt any comparable nausea at the blatant display of female sexuality...in Beyoncé’s acclaimed rock video “Formation,” say, they kept it to themselves. Beyoncé and her female chorus line rhythmically thrust...while Beyoncé brags of her sexual prowess...No objections to that destruction of the innocence of childhood from the DNC."

D.C. McCallister: "I find this reaction to Trump's private conversation rather ironic. It's ironic coming from a secular culture that long ago declared objective morality dead. It's ironic coming from politicos and media bottom-feeders who defended the abusive and disgusting behavior of Bill Clinton, not when he was a private citizen but when he was a sitting president."

Margot Anderson: "The chief offense Trump is being accused of is 'objectifying women,' i.e. denying their dignity and humanity. But what about treating human life as a disposable clump of cells?"

No comments: